Applicable to PAYE and LTD Consultants
What do I do if I’m sick?
- Contact your hiring manager and inform them of your absence by 10am.
- Send an email to [email protected] by 10am detailing the following information:
- Hiring manager has been informed of absence
- Hours worked that day (if any) and hours absent due to illness
- If you know the time you will return to work please detail this in the email
- If you do not know the day you will return to work you must keep both your hiring manager and [email protected] informed each morning you are sick unless a doctors note detailing the dates of absence has been sent. If you return to work earlier than noted on the doctors note, please inform LSC of your return.
- If you are absent for more than three days a sick note from your doctor will be required.
- If you are absent for more than 1 week you must forward a doctor’s cert weekly and provide a “Certificate of fitness to work” on return.
What if I am sick during my annual leave?
- If you are sick during your annual leave and get a medical certificate for the days you are sick, these days will not be counted as annual leave days, unless requested otherwise.
- You can build up your annual leave entitlement while you are off sick, once you have a medical certificate.
Sick Pay/Statutory Sick Pay Scheme/Illness Benefit
LSC do not pay employees for sick days. However since 2023 there is a statutory sick pay scheme.
Since 1 January 2023, you have a right to 3 days’ sick pay a year, this will increase to 5 days in 2024. This is called statutory sick pay (that means the legal minimum). Sick pay is paid by your employer at 70% of your normal pay up to a maximum of €110 a day.
You must be an employee and be working at least 13 weeks with your employer before you can get statutory sick pay. You also need to be certified by a GP as unable to work.
More information can be found here.
If you don’t have a sick note from a doctor then you can take any sick days as either unpaid leave or as annual leave.
There is also another government scheme available to PAYE employees. This scheme is the Illness benefit scheme. More detail on the scheme can be found here.
If you happen to be ill / out sick as a limited company consultant you are not entitled to be paid. Please put zero hours on your timesheets for the day/days you were sick.